Sunday 24 June 2012

British Summertime!


After moving out of London to the countryside last year I had been looking forward to the summertime to get outside, enjoy the outdoors and take lots of beautiful pictures!  Unfortunately, we seem to be having one of the worst summers I've experienced with a lot of rain and very high winds = very annoying!

It's coming to the end of June and here in the UK we are experiencing weather warnings for torrential rain and high winds.  I currently sitting in a jumper and scarf!

However, there has been the odd break in the cloud and the sun has peeped through momentarily.  Here are some shots I've managed to get in these brief moments!


This was taken on a walk a few days ago near Upware, Cambridge.  It had rained all day but in the evening the sun came through.  We came across this field of wheat which had thousands of poppies poking through creating a beautiful sea of red.


I took this picture on a similar kind of day a few weeks ago.  The days are getting nice and long now and we seem to be getting the most amazing sun sets right now.  I took this picture near our home (near Newmarket) looking out towards the Fenlands and Cambridge.


I took this picture in a village called Brinkley (near Cambridge) looking into some pony paddocks.  The field was covered in a carpet of dandelions and everything was sparkling from heavy rain reflecting the evening sun beautifully.


Although this looks like a typical autumn picture with what appears to be twigs and branches loosing their leaves - it's actually taken towards the end of May in a local village called Great Wilbraham on a very grey day.  It was daytime but there was very little sun coming through the clouds which made water reflect the trees like a mirror.


All the Cambridge college balls were in full swing last week!  It's a tradition for people to hire the famous Cambridge punts and punt along the river then moor up beside the college grounds and enjoys picnics until late watching the celebratory fireworks.  I went along with some friends and luckily it stayed dry and clear and we had a great evening enjoying our picnic and fireworks!  The river gets so full with punts that by about 10 pm you cannot move.  The whole river is covered in wooden punts like a jigsaw.  It's definitely an evening to experience!  I took this picture on the way to out mooring place capturing the famous Bridge of Sighs at St Johns.




9 comments:

Brandi said...

Beautiful pictures! Wish I could visit!

Jussie De Guida said...

Found your blog through simple as that, and I'm so glad I did. These pictures are absolutely STUNNING!!

Gina Kleinworth said...

WOW- what stunning views!!!

Mona's Picturesque said...

Gorgeous shots ♥ Love them all! All about SUMMER!!!

alicia said...

Well, I'm glad you had a sun break. These are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining our summer party!

Emily Kiddy said...

Thank you for all your lovely comments! More pics coming soon x

Satakieli said...

Thanks for linking up with Summer Daze!

I'm currently in England too on holiday. In fact, fairly close to where you are, I'm visiting my parents who live near Peterborough. I grew up here.

This weather is a little disappointing, I don't mind leaving behind the insanely hot weather in Chicago right now, but I'd like at least a little sunshine!

Emily Kiddy said...

Yes you're not far away at all. I know its so cloudy and grey! Maybe it will be better for the weekend :)

rebecca said...

I'm swooning over these gorgeous images Emily...it's decided, I'm moving there! K? :) Thanks for linking up with the simple things, I'm super excited to feature one of your photos in my roundup of favs tomorrow! :) Rebecca

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...